Author Topic: Yamaha Stagea  (Read 11240 times)

Simon Fuller

• Plays AR 80 and ELC-02 Stagea
Re: Yamaha Stagea
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 06:56:47 PM »
Hi Peter, Ian, Bev, Hugh,

I am planning to have a really good play around with it this weekend as I have only just got it. The D Deck does not have any built in speakers (like the Tyros) as it is basically the portable version of the ELS-01C, minus the VA voice section but a second lead section in its place. On the back there are multiple Aux out jacks and according to the manual you can assign different parts (styles, upper voice 1, lower voice 2, etc) to different outputs if you wish. I suppose this is if you want to seperate the sounds if you were sending them to an external effect generator or something (you wouldn't want the drums going through a tremolo effect for example). Currently I have the D Deck in the bedroom and my AR is in the hobby room so I am listening to it through my headphones, but you can connect it to the input of the AR which is probably what I will do once I move it into the hobby room and things are moved around.
I haven't made an MP3 recording before, what would be the best way to do this? Can you get an MP3 recorder for a PC? If so I can set up my laptop next to the D Deck and just plug it in. Also on the back panel is a digital optical out which I guess would be better than the Aux jack sockets.
I also ordered several Yamaha music books (should turn up tomorrow). I like playing orchestral type scores and these are arranged specifically for the capabilities of an electone. I will probably practice and play one of these to demonstrate the organ.

Simon

Simon Fuller

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 07:13:15 PM »
Hi All,

Just done a quick video test of the new D-Deck, here's the link:

http://youtu.be/OP6KBph8Wa0

My timing is all over the place but it will give you an idea what it sounds like. If I connect the MIDI cable between the instruments I can play this from the AR. I think I will also be getting myself one of those MP3 recorders that Peter S has got so I can make a better quality recording.

Regards,
Simon.

Ian and Bev Harrison

• Bev .. Plays AR 100 - (Ian's the Technician)
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 11:59:58 PM »
Hi Simon,
The D Deck looks like a great acquisition and sounds great.  Your performance is pretty good considering your claim that your timing is all over the place.  Could have fooled me.
This will be a great addition to your equipment and no doubt draw out your creative skills even more.
As for recording there are lots of different software available to capture and modify sounds coming into a computer through its "Line in Jack".  Peter's mp3 recorder is nice and portable and clearly fairly simple to set up.  I use quite long leads to connect the AR output jack to my computer's input jack (as the two are in different rooms and the leads are about 12metres long), record using DartPro 24, which creates WAV files and then I can modify those into mp3, mp4, and a number of other formats using Switch a free program available from NCH Software.
Cheers
Ian

Peter Slack

• Plays Korg PA4X, Roland AT80SL, Technics GA3, Tech
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
Hi Simon

That sounds like a very tricky piece of music to play, but you made it look so easy, well played.

The sounds are very impressive. Such a shame that Yamaha (and Technics/Panasonic) no longer make new organs for the UK.

I hope you will be very happy with your new toy, and look forward to hearing more from you on both instruments.

Peter S

Richard Hambridge

• Plays AR 80
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 09:25:28 PM »
Simon,

Awesome! Not much else to say. You look so relaxed, as that is a difficult piece to play. Looking forward to hearing more.

Richard

Simon Fuller

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 06:01:09 PM »
Hi All,

Ian, thanks for the info on the computer software, I will have a look into that as it sounds quite interesting. I agree with you Peter, it is a shame Yamaha and Technics have forsaken these shores. Just imagine what the next generation AR would have sounded like. Although new technology comes at a price, there is a mind boggling array of adjustments and settings on these newer organs that I don't think we would use or care to understand. They would simply get in the way of having fun with the organ and I think the AR designers got the spec spot on, which is why we all love these organs so much. The only thing I would update is the tone generators.
Richard H, my left wrist really ached the next day so I dont think I will play this one too often! :)

Regards,
Simon.

Simon Fuller

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 03:40:21 PM »
Hi all,

It seems Yamaha are determined to keep the spirit of the electone alive.......in Asia anyway. They have just released the ELB-02 or Stagea mini and in December they will release the replacement for the D-Deck. This is called the ELC-02 and they are officially labelling it an electone Stagea. Not sure if this link will work, you may have to put this into google translate.
https://www.yamaha.com/ja/news_release/2016/16101801/

It is basically the portable version of the ELS-02, fully backwards compatible with the D-Deck software. Tempted  :)