Author Topic: My AR 100 has to go  (Read 368 times)

Bob Golding

• Plays AR 100
My AR 100 has to go
« on: March 27, 2018, 10:41:13 PM »
due to a change of circumstances my ar100 may have to go. i am trying to sell it locally but as it has been stored in my yurt all winter i don't yet know if it still working. it was a couple of months ago,but i have been ill so have not had a chance to check. in the event of it  being damaged beyond repair i thought i may use the manuals and pedal board as the basis for a haupwerk virtual pipe organ. there is one at our local church and a fine instrument it is. the main reason is i could at least move it easily! anyone done this? i am moving from a 4 bedroom house to a one bedroom flat,so no more loud organ music at 3 in the morning. it would help if i could play as well. scales at 300 watts could get annoying i suppose. :D

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
Re: My AR 100 has to go
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 10:41:49 AM »
Hi Bob.  It would be a shame to sell your AR 100.  There is no doubt that the AR has some of the best sounds around for playing Classical (Church) Music.  Take a look at this post by Peter Anderson and listen to the tracks by Mark Burbridge.

http://www.ar-group.org/smforum/index.php?topic=3022.0

With regards to practising 'scales' at 3am in the morning, I never play my AR through it's speakers anyway.  For starters, my AR is in a conservatory with glass/stone walls, a stone floor and a glass roof.  The 'echo' I get is appalling.  The sound through headphones, on the other hand, is superb!  And by using headphones I don't disturb my wife while I am playing.  Unfortunately, my wife suffers from tinnitus badly, and listening to music doesn't do her any favours.

But if you do sell your AR, you need to mention to a prospective buyer what the state of your 'Gold Lettering' is like.  These are the gold letters imprinted on the wood (not the lettering on the Tabs).  If they are faded, unless you are familiar with the AR it is virtually impossible to find your way around it.  An AR with 'faded' Gold Lettering is virtually worthless these days, whereas you should get a good price for one with perfect lettering.

Hugh
AR Admin

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 10:54:36 AM »
Anyone reading the above who is not a Member of AR Group will not be able to access those tracks by Mark Burbridge.

But ..

They are also posted here, so click this LINK below to listen to them (scroll down to What does a Yamaha Electone AR 80/100 sound like?):

http://www.ar-group.org/smforum/index.php?topic=483.0

Anyone who wants to hear what the AR 100 sounds like (not Classical Music) click this LINK:

http://www.ar-group.org/smforum/index.php?topic=2975.0

Hugh
AR Admin

Peter Anderson

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 05:10:27 PM »
I often prefer to listen to my AR with headphones, but have invested in a wireless set.   
This enables me to roam all over our bungalow, including the loft, and a fair area of the garden while being 'entertained'.   It pays to pop in an appropriate floppy disk, set the M.D.R. to All Repeat and let the concert begin.
When I need a break I simply pop back to AR, change the floppy and start another concert!

Both Professional organists and many gifted Amateurs regularly play my Yamaha AR80 just for me!

Fantastic.

Peter

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 12:39:23 PM »
I have a wireless headphone set too.  Takes all the drudgery out of washing up.  And now that we are retired, I do a lot of the cooking too.  Bronwyn did all the cooking when we had the Hotel, so understandably she has had enough!  And I love doing it.  I find it very relaxing, particularly when I have the most wonderful music playing in the background through my headphones.

And listening to those JOTs via headphones like this means that I do get to listen to them.  Don't think I could sit on the organ stool for an hour listening through the speakers and twiddling my thumbs.

Hugh
AR Admin

Bob Golding

• Plays AR 100
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 10:38:56 AM »
i have a few people interested in my ar 100. i am having piano lessons at the moment using a yamaha p35 keyboard. i am impressed with the key action on these. that will keep me busy for a while. the plan is to learn the basics then if i sell the ar 100 i will start to get the parts to build a haupwerk system together. seems there are some pretty good ideas out there for building them. i do use the headphones most of the time,but love the sound of a ar100 at high volume sometimes as well.! very good for drowning out next doors power tools.