Author Topic: Midi wizard badly needed  (Read 179 times)

Ken Horton

• Plays Roland AT80SL and Technics KN7000 keyboard
Midi wizard badly needed
« on: April 04, 2018, 02:56:29 PM »
Some time earlier I posted my more recent changes of organs, the previous two being the AR 100 and an Orla GT 9000, I used a Technics Keyboard KN 7000 with both of them and have now recently changed to a Roland AT80 SL
The reason for the Technics keyboard was simply to re enforce my playing which does need some help from time to time,  and with their SD card memory there is a huge library of styles to chose from rather like the Tyros system where other modelís styles can be accessed..

A lot has been posted about the difficulties in midi settings with the AR and also EL range of organs, the Orla was not quite so bad but even then there were issues.  However, I got around most by running the units into a common junction box, but in all cases they had to have the midi out to midi in connection between the two units and the organ setting had to be correct but it seldom needed altering. Although following the brief instructions in the Roland manual the messages from the lower keyboard of the organ are not being received by the keyboard so chord changes are ignored and the keyboard canít interact.

I have posted this plea for help on two other forums and now on the AR Group in the hope that somewhere among the  members is someone using or has used a Roland AT model with any midi device, ( even a Roland BK7m ) and can tell me what the settings of the organ should be.  Approaches to Roland support are unhelpful as they tell me they do not support owners using a Roland product that they no longer make.  The other option is to find a Midi Wizard, so if one happens to read this message please get in touch  !  And many thanks to all for reading this.  Ken (H)

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
Re: Midi wizard badly needed
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:12:14 PM »
Ian (Harrison) .. you are our 'guru whizz' in this group.  Any ideas for Ken?

Anybody else have any ideas?  Just post a Reply in here.

Hugh
AR Admin

Ken Horton

• Plays Roland AT80SL and Technics KN7000 keyboard
Re: Midi wizard badly needed
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 05:06:59 AM »
Hi, I did my own wizardry in the end, very non technical.  I have a very small bungalow, space is at a premium and the organ is wedged in a corner of our second bedroom with a double bed , desk and computer.  Getting to the organ to play is rather like climbing into an F1 racing car .. TIGHT

I accidentally stood on an organ pedal and the Technics keyboard played an intro !   Investigating to confirm settings were correct,  the lower manual was set to (default) Channel 3 and the pedal to Channel 2, I never dreamed it would be any different because the lower is always set to Channel 3 on all the organs I have had so I was looking elsewhere for a cure. Changing the lower manual to CH 2 cured the problem !

It's taken quite some time to find this out.  In fact I have had the organ about a month and up to now have never played a tune all the way through for sorting out queries !   ken