Author Topic: What I find infuriating  (Read 130 times)

Brian Lisher

• Plays AR 100; HS8
What I find infuriating
« on: December 22, 2017, 09:06:17 AM »
So I set up the AR for a piece of music or, a series of tunes, including Registration shift. Record to floppy,as you should, fine??

Switch on the AR, set up the piece  to play and, flick my foot? no change! So I have to stop playing and switch on the shift.

I find this infuriating.

Why Yamaha can't retain the better bits of preceding models is beyond my comprehension.

Has someone found  a way round this? because I can't

Anyone want a load of firewood I've just chopped?, (just joking. I think!)

Brian Lisher

Charles Hughes

• Global Moderator
  • Plays AR 80
Re: What I find infuriating
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 10:12:50 AM »
Hi Brian,

I seem to recall that you have to manually set the registration shift to the start position when preparing to record a piece. 

Once you have recorded it, I am sure that the use of Reg shift is remembered and is automatically set to the start point on playback.

Charles

Brian Lisher

• Plays AR 100; HS8
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 01:02:01 PM »
Hello Charles,

Thank you for that. I had gone through a variety of registrations which resulted in the shift being missing. After reading your reply I have again gone through and find that, indeed, a number of my saved registrations do revert to 'Shift'  but some don't. Perhaps, on reflection some of my saved work did not register with 'Shift'. I'll have to go through them all again and check.

I still think that Yamaha are  too fond of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. With my old HS I press the shift button and it stays on till cancelled. Far better in my opinion.

Regards,

Brian.

Peter Anderson

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 10:38:56 PM »
Tricky for the manufacturers to provide a facility that satisfies everyone.
Not sure how the HS Shift function operated, but the AR is programmable.  i.e. Simple advance, jump, etc.   So if it stayed on permanently, from where you had it last time, it may not always prove to be convenient.

However, what you set it to, and it must have registrations assigned to the memory buttons, then all this can be stored to disk, including your preferred setting of the shift lever.

Thinking about it, this is probably the ideal situation, but having said that, it is what we get used to.

Peter