Author Topic: The Owner's Manual  (Read 342 times)

Robert McMichael

• Global Moderator
  • Plays AR 100
The Owner's Manual
« on: April 21, 2017, 05:27:10 PM »
  :o    Midi Implementation Chart
Can anyone explain how (or to whom?), the information on pages 169 and 170 (of the Owner's Manual) is significant? 

:o   Accompaniment Program Drum List & Drum Map (Parts 1 & 2)
How can pages 126 & 127 of the Owner's Manual be useful to (us) less-than-technically minded?   

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
Re: The Owner's Manual
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:06:27 PM »
Hi Mac,

MIDI IMPLEMENTATION CHART

I presume that this refers to using MIDI to connect one keyboard to another.  You could then play 'AR sounds' from the other keyboard; and play the other keyboard's sounds on the AR.

But ...

... from what others tell me, the YAMAHA MIDI is 'non standard' ie. Yamaha have their own way of doing things.  So trying to do this is a nightmare, and seldom works.

If any of you reading this know different .. please let us know!

Hugh
AR Admin

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 09:54:21 PM »
The other pages you mention refer to the drum sounds available when you are using ACCOMP. PROGRAM. 

Let's go back a page first .. to Accompaniment Program Voice List.  When you load a STYLE into ACCOMP. PROGRAM, click the button next to VOICE in the top left hand corner.  You will see all the various PARTS across the screen (including BASS, CHORD 1, CHORD 2, PAD, PHRASE 1 & 2 etc.) and underneath, the VOICE chosen for each PART.  Now you can change any of those Voices to something else, SAVE it to a USER slot .. and then when you use it from USER you will get a backing part with the same 'pattern', but with a different Voice.  So it will sound different.

Now suppose I have a Grand Piano as my Voice in one of the PARTS, and want to change that to a BANJO.  You use the 'up' and 'down' buttons under the screen to find what you want.  And you can 'jump' eight Voices at a time by holding down the COARSE button and then the eg.'down' button. Now I can see from the list that Grand Piano is the first Voice.  And by consulting my list, I can see that BANJO is number 106.  So I would 'jump down' 13 times .. and then one more Voice should get me there.

So that's where this list comes in handy.  Of course, if I were to program in my own backing PART I would want to choose a VOICE first, and this list shows me all my options.

Now the ACCOMPANIMENT PROGRAM DRUM LIST does the same, but with the drums.  In all the STYLES there is a Rhythm 1 and a Rhythm 2.  And the VOICES selected when you look at it in ACCOMP. PROGRAM are eg. Standard Kit, Standard2 Kit, Room Kit etc.  Perhaps calling these Drum Kits 'VOICES' is a little confusing.

With a drum RHYTHM you can 'add into' the rhythm that you hear.  I have done this once or twice eg. add in a 'Hand Clap' on the off beat.  The CHART shows me that a Hand Clap is D#1 (ie. one octave up .. D#0 is a Brush Slap).  And this is available for all the 'Kits' that are 'greyed' across the chart.  So hit D#1 on the 'off-beat' and SAVE the result to eg. USER 1.

Now I am not a drummer, so all these 'descriptions' in the CHART are pretty meaningless to me.  I prefer just to go up the keys one at a time, hitting them until I find the drum sound I want.  No doubt a professional drummer would be able to DELETE all the drum PART and build one up from scratch.  As I said above, you can keep 'adding into it' so don't have to do the whole lot at once as if you really were playing the drums.

So I hope this answers your question.  I am OK with the descriptions in the VOICE LIST as I do have an idea of how a Grand Piano sounds, or a Honky Tonk Piano, or a Banjo.  A drummer would be equally happy with the descriptions in the DRUMS LIST.

Hugh
AR Admin

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 10:53:15 PM »
Peter Wood was a drummer (and guitarist and organ player) so knew what sounds to put into a 'Rhythm PART'.  I have just come across this Tutorial on YouTube .. How to Keyboard Drum which explains in detail how to create a Rhythm from the drum sounds on the keys.  Not an AR, but the principle is the same.

Click this LINK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwnkWjrdhLM

Can you identify the drum sounds he is using with the descriptions from the Accompaniment Program Voice List?
AR Admin