Author Topic: TRX ORGAN SYSTEMS  (Read 317 times)

John Szczechowski

• Plays AR 80; Tyros 3
TRX ORGAN SYSTEMS
« on: July 20, 2017, 09:30:59 PM »
This music store has an interesting innovation of combing single keyboards into an organ.

http://www.musicland.co.uk/trx-organ-systems/

Has anyone tried playing one of these?

Allan R Baillie

• Plays AR 100 and Lowrey Prestige
Re: TRX ORGAN SYSTEMS
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 08:25:58 AM »
John,

I had one of these systems (mine based on the Tyros 4) for about two years and did at first enjoy it, particularly the sounds - organ and orchestral. It is not the prettiest of systems and my wife was not too happy with having it in our dining room. I believe more cosmetic cases to hide the keyboards, amplifier, speakers and associated wiring are now available.
I am afraid I just got tired of having to set it up every time I wished to play a tune and between this and my wife not being happy I ended up reverting to an oak cased organ - Lowrey where I can change tones whilst playing and my wife is happy with the organ as a piece of furniture. Whilst I am reasonably happy with the Lowrey I still regularly play (or try to!!) my AR 100 which is in my study.

Allan

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 08:46:07 AM »
The Artiste at our Weston-super-Mare Organ and Keyboard Club on May 4th was  David Harrild.  A very good evening.  He had the Yamaha Tyros 5 TRX System set up, which he seemed to be promoting.

Basically, he had the Tyros 5 as the top keyboard, with all those wonderful voices that the Tyros 5 has.  Then the bottom keyboard was what you might call a 'slave' keyboard, connected to the Tyros 5 via MIDI.  I don't know how he allocated voices to the bottom keys, or how easy it was to change them.

Allan, as you have played one of these, can you tell me if the 'keyboard  split' is made on the Upper or the Lower?  Obviously you can do away with any 'split' and just play the whole thing as an organ, but I like to play the AR using Styles .. and play my chords on the left of the 'split' on the Lower.  Would I still be able to do it this way on the TRX?  Or would I have to play the chords on the Upper and have the bottom keyboard  for playing the tune?  Obviously David Harrild didn't play with any splits at the concert.  He had the whole thing set up with voices across the whole keyboard.  Or did he?

Videos of David Harrild playing the Yamaha T5 TRX System

David Harrild on Tyros 5 TRX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIA96owHbSk

Promotional Videos for the Yamaha TRX System

TRX Tyros Organ Systems part 1.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoFVP4ufz_Y

TRX Tyros Organ Systems part 2.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lelEJNy4ZnI

TRX Tyros Organ Systems part 3.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl7mcsAiqUU
AR Admin

Neville Allen

• Plays AR 100
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 05:02:22 PM »
Hi Hugh
I have never attended a David Harrild concert, but was impressed with the sounds he produced on his Tyros TRX System.
However, I didn't see any speakers that are normally visible in Tyros advertisements, so presumably on the video he was using large external speakers which would also be necessary for the pedalboard he was using.
He wasn't reading music, but does the LED screen double up as a music rest?
I believe the voices on the Tyros are excellent, but as Allan mentioned aesthetically the TRX System does not complement any lounge or dining room which, presumably for many "home" players is a prerequisite .
Undoubtedly the TRX System is ideal for a travelling professional player.
Often there are various models of Tyros being offered for sale in OKC magazine probably by owners wishing to return to playing organ. In the circumstances is it conceivable that Yamaha would ever consider designing a new organ by incorporating the voices and other attributes of the Tyros as new version of, say, the Stagea organ.
Just a thought!

Neville

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 09:41:25 AM »
Hi Neville, 

At our concert, Daviv Harrild had two large speaker cabinets, which he had placed on the floor of the stage (ie.  not at the top of poles).  From my understanding of 'sound', you always get a better 'bass' when speakers are on the floor, not at the top of poles.  Bass sounds travel 'upwards'.  At least the AR has a large 'bass' speaker which is below where you are sitting.  This is why it all sounds so good.

Can't understand why some of our visiting Artistes put their speakers at the top of poles .. on the stage.  So they are way above our heads.  They need a sound engineer to give them a lesson.  The sound is never as good.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this!

Hugh
AR Admin

Allan R Baillie

• Plays AR 100 and Lowrey Prestige
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 08:59:27 PM »
Hi All,

Sorry about the delay in replying but I've been rather distracted getting my pre-op for my first knee replacement operation which I am having next month.

The TRX system I bought, from David Harrild at a Blackpool organ Festival, and who has had a significant part in developing the system and the "Elite Registrations" came with two tower monitor style speakers (incorporated bass as well as mid and treble speakers) together with their own amplifer. Overall sound quality was good as all the tyros speakers including the sub woofer were also present.

If I remember correctly, although I never managed to work out how, the bottom "slave" deck (usually a digital piano) can be split. Several of the "Elite Registrations" -- a USB stick inserted in the rear USB port thus leaving the front port free for other USB's, utilised this function. The top Tyros deck can also be split, if needed. No doubt David Harrild would explain how if asked.

The system comes with a plexi glass music stand which raises the music over the screen and brings it forward.

As I said in my earlier posts it was the constant having to pre - programme sounds and the look of the system rather than its capability that made me change back to an organ with tabs.
Allan