Author Topic: Len Rawle in Dunstable  (Read 5566 times)

Peter Anderson

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
Len Rawle in Dunstable
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:26:47 AM »
Where's Dunstable?     In Bedfordshire.
I was passing the Methodist Church in the centre of Dunstable this morning and saw a sign outside, advertising a Len Rawle Organ Concert for Saturday, September 25th at 7:30 p.m.
Admission £5, with concessions £4, all tickets available at the door.
To find out more about Len Rawle, click this link:

http://www.keyboard-cavalcade.co.uk/see-contributors/item/9-len-rawle-mbe

He lives in Chorleywood, which I know well, as I lived in and met my wife in the next village of Sarratt.    It's a small world.

Not much happens in my local town, especially in the organ world, but I am planning to be there!
Peter
In the interest of our members
AR-Group ADMIN

Alex Mc Knight

• Plays Yamaha AR 80 and CN34 Kawai piano
Re: Len Rawle in Dunstable
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 05:31:19 PM »
Hi Peter,

I am sure you will enjoy the concert which Len will give on what ever type of organ he plays.  I attended his concert in Glasgow at the end of April when he played the Wurlitzer at Pollockshaws, it was a great afternoon with a nearly full house. The hall holds around 300. I have also heard him playing his Yamaha setup. 

Regards,

Alex.

Peter Anderson

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:51:22 PM »
Hi Alex,

The Methodist Church has a large pipe organ, which creates wonderful sounds, but is a little limited in variation, and is rather sluggish with its response so I expect him to bring a more modern organ with him.    The poster advertised that he had featured on radio and TV as a theatre organist.   We will have to wait and see, but I am looking forward to it.   I have heard examples of his skill on the web.   He still writes articles in the Organ & Keyboard Calvacade magazine, every month, as well as still being practically engaged in restoring old theatre organs, in different parts of the world.

Peter
AR-Group ADMIN

Peter Anderson

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 11:21:32 PM »
Heard Len Rawle this evening.    Brilliant organist, but also a very engaging personality - a terrific evening, enjoyed by all.

He played about 1/2 of the concert on the 100 year old church pipe organ, which still works perfectly, (it cost £760 to build  and was finished in February 1910) but how Len made it sound was staggering, and the rest on an Yamaha HS8.   We had The Shadows, a swing number when we almost expected Frank Sinatra to come on stage, a variety of theatre organ sounds and a full orchestra rendering of The Bartered Bride, beside many other delightful snippets.

Really glad that I attended - and so was everyone else.

Peter
AR-Group ADMIN