Author Topic: No___4____Brass Band Registration  (Read 633 times)

Peter Anderson

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
No___4____Brass Band Registration
« on: September 21, 2010, 12:10:52 PM »
Here are the starting steps to creating a splendid Brass Band sound, which was originally suggested by Glyn Madden back in 1998.

Thank you for this Glyn.

The Brass Band.
1    In the Registration Menu, choose Symphony Orchestra, and then Brass Ensemble preset.  Although this is more of a brass fanfare, the essential ingredients are there for the brass band.

2   In the Ensemble buttons, switch off Upper Voice 1 Fanfare Brass and Upper Voice 2 Brass Quintet, leaving only the Lead section Cornet.

3   Now switch off Lower Voice 1 Fanfare Brass leaving only Lower Voice 2 Euphonium.
      Both Cornet and Euphonium are  typically Brass Band instruments.

4   Press the Lead Voice Trumpet button, and the display will show that the Cornet is selected, from this ‘family’.

5   Now press the same button a second time, to change the display to the Condition page, which is where the Touch, Pan settings, etc are found.

6   Press the button to the right of the display, adjacent to Vibrato, and the display will change accordingly.

7   Use the buttons beneath the display to switch from Preset to User Vibrato.

8   Now set the User Vibrato to    Delay = 1,    Depth = 7,    and   Speed = 2.
      Vibrato adds ‘warmth’ to the sound and is a feature of many brass band players’ style.

9   By pressing the buttons beneath the column marked Tune you make the Cornet Lead voice slightly sharper in pitch than the rest of the band.   It is especially more realistic if you add more voices to the Cornet later.   So for now raise it halfway.

10   By using the same method, add User Vibrato to the Euphonium in Lower Voice 2 section, with  Delay = 0,    Depth = 3    and   Speed = 0.
      Now the sound is beginning to take on the sound of a real Brass Band, but we are not finished yet.....

11   Press and hold the button marked ‘1’ in the Upper Keyboard Voice 1 section, and while you are holding it press the Trumpet button in the Lead Voice section.   The display will change to show all the voices in the Trumpet family.    Select Euphonium from the display.  Now you can release the button marked ‘1’.
      This is the quick way of getting the Euphonium sound into the number ‘1’ button of the Upper keyboard Voice 1 section., but this works for all the wild-card number buttons on the AR.
   Now whenever you switch on the Upper Voice 1 Ensemble button, you can add the Euphonium to the Cornet Voice.

12   Finish off by adding some User Vibrato to the Euphonium in the Upper Keyboard Voice 1 section, using the same method as before.
Set       Delay = 0,    Depth = 3,    Speed = 1.

Notice that we have set a different Vibrato for each instrument.  This makes the Vibrato more ‘human’ as though each instrument is being individually blown.

Add rhythm if you wish, but, personally I prefer it without.   Now enjoy using it, in whatever way you like, but feel free to develop it further.

If you read on in this subject, you can download a disc with these 2 registrations in Memories 1 & 2, and some later additions in Memories 3 through 10.

Clive Hughes

Re: No__4____Brass Band Registration
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:08:20 PM »
Peter - Before I try this do you know if this is the same registration that is on the disc by Glyn that is available from the Yamaha Club
Thanks
Clive H

Peter Anderson

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
Re: No__4____Brass Band Registration
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 09:45:16 AM »
Sorry Clive, I have no idea.    
This registration was one he suggested back in 1998!    It is likely that it could be included in the Yamaha Club disc, but obviously that disc contains many more registrations.
I can't be any more help, but someone else may know exactly what is on the disc.

It doesn't take long to set the organ up, unless your computer is a long way from your AR!

Warm regards,
Peter

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
Re: No___4____Brass Band Registration
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 06:23:27 PM »
Re: Peter's comment above.  You could PRINT out his instructions and take that over to the AR and try it out.  A quick reminder of how  to PRINT something from the FORUM.  You can either PRINT out just one posting (as you would want to do in this case) or print the main topic + all the 'Replies'.  All this is covered in the section Computers, Technical Support, Printing out a topic you are viewing.

Click this LINK to open up the topic in a new window:

http://www.ar-group.org/smforum/index.php?topic=998.0

AR Admin

Alex Mc Knight

• Plays Yamaha AR 100.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 09:34:36 AM »
Hi Peter,

I have set up your registrations and they really sound great. I have put a BRIGHT TRUMPET into upper voice 2 but I am not sure that I have got the VIBRATO setting right which is delay 1 depth 3 speed 0.  Also I reduced the volume on the trumpet to about 3/4. Any ideas on another instrument would be appreciated.

I am looking through my music to find songs that are written for blown instruments and will record them to see how they sound.

I really appreciate the time and effort you have put into this series and I am sure the members will gain some useful hints from it.

Regards,

Alex.

Peter Anderson

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 02:35:38 PM »
Hi Alex,

Much of this is trial and error, until you find something that gels for you.   I appreciate that we all have different tastes.

I have experimented with these for you to assess.  There is a disc to download below

In Upper Voice 1 there is in the initial set-up Fanfare brass, I tried adding that with Delay = 1,  Depth = 3   and   Speed = 2.  {Memory 3}

When changing a basic pre set registration, it is always a good idea to view what is also "hidden" within it, because they are also "adjusted" to suit the overall balance of that registration.

Or add  Upper Voice 2 where there is Brass Quintet, I added that with Delay = 1,  Depth = 4   and   Speed = 1.  {Memory 4}

You can also add both together with the Lead Cornet.   {Memory 5}

I tried changing  Upper Voice 2 to Octave brass, and I set that to Delay = 1,  Depth = 3   and   Speed = 1,   {Memory 6}

and then swapped it for  Upper Voice 2 Brass Band, I tried adding that with Delay = 1,  Depth = 4   and   Speed = 2.   {Memories 7 & 8}

I have created a set of memories with these in, all with plenty of Reverb.    By clicking this link you can download these registrations, which you will find in Registration Memories 1 to 10 as outlined below.  Remember, this is a Registration Disk .. so nothing will actually 'play'.  The Registration Memories will be set up with the Brass Band Registrations as outlined below:

Brass Band Registrations (Floppy Disk Download)

Brass Band Registrations

Memory 1       Cornet and 1 Euphonium                          Memory 2      Cornet and 2 Euphoniums                     Memory 3       plus Fanfare Brass
Memory 4       plus Brass Quintet                                    Memory 5      plus Fanfare and Quintet                       Memory 6       plus Octave Brass
Memory 7       Brass Band with no Cornet                       Memory 8      Brass Band with Cornet                         Memory 9       plus Trombone
Memory 10     plus Classical Trumpet

If you discover any more additions/alterations that you like, then suggest them here, please.   Don't forget to consider the 'feet' setting for each instrument.

Peter

Alex Mc Knight

• Plays Yamaha AR 100.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 12:17:28 PM »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for that. I have downloaded the registrations and they really sound great. I am now recording some tunes.

Regards,  

Alex.

Peter Anderson

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 06:26:03 PM »
You have kept your word Alex and produced some great Brass Band recordings for us, which can be acquired by clicking this link:

http://www.ar-group.org/smforum/index.php?topic=1138.0

Fancy that, a few comments here about Brass Band registrations and the President of the Dumfries Organ Club obliges, and so capably.

Thank you  Alex,          Peter

Ron Wain

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 04:53:56 PM »
Peter, You're a star! (but we already knew that anyway...)

I have been messing about with the presets for weeks and wanted something sounding more - nostalgic.

This fits the bill exactly.  Ta much  Ron

Peter Anderson

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 07:03:20 PM »
I don't know about a star - black hole more like!                 Thank you any way, Ron.

When we first log on to the site you will see all down the right hand side ...........

Last Post
                Last Post
                Last Post
......etc

But no-one has recorded the Last Post on the AR!               ..... Yet !

Edna Dalton

• Plays AR-100
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 11:34:12 AM »
These brass band registrations are a-maz-ing.  I have put them to good use for lots of tunes, but they are perfect for the 'Blaydon Races'..............Howay the lads.!................  thank you Peter, and all other contributors.  Edna Dalton..........(still going through past posts on this wonderful website.)

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »
Below are two of Alex's tracks (as mentioned above) for you to listen to as MP3.  They really do sound like a brass band (probably playing in the High Street in your home town!).  And Alex has done what he has said and used Peter's Registrations above.

My Ain Folk performed by Alex's Brass Band

Down In The Glen performed by Alex's Brass Band

Hugh
AR Admin