Author Topic: Nessun Dorma - AR100 Youtube  (Read 6509 times)

Richard Hambridge

• Plays AR 80
Nessun Dorma - AR100 Youtube
« on: June 28, 2011, 09:52:55 AM »
Hi All,

Just been trawling through youtube, and found Nessun Dorma cleverly done utilsing the 'vocal' sounds of the AR. Worth a listen in my opinion.

Is a member I wonder?

Regards

Richard

Laurie McFadden

Re: Nessun Dorma - AR100 Youtube
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:29:40 PM »
Hey there young Richard, that was a good observation about the Nessun Dorma performance on youtube.
After seeing that, I watched the video by the same fellow of The Phantom.
I reckon this is a very enjoyable, rhythmic,version of The Phantom. It reminds me of the version that features in the DVD of Sarah Brightman Live In Vienna where she does the concert in a rather narrow and quite long Cathedral-ideal for conveying visually the "eeriness" which oterwise comes across to us when we hear or play the "traditional" slower version.
This guy's performance brings the Phantom music into a different musical genre almost -however I find this "driving rhythmic" treatment still entertaining and almost compelling.
Obviously there would be many who may consider the original slower, more ethereal style of The Phantom music to be more to their liking- I say that as I saw while the vast majority of viewers greatly enjoyed this performance there were a small number who didn't "have their fancy tickled" by this version
But then that's what music, art, even cooking is all about-personal preference, interpretation and reflective of our moods etc.
Cheers all...Laurie.

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 02:32:35 PM »
Richard,

That is just brilliant!  I would never have thought of using the 'choir voice' as a 'solo voice'.  I presume he chose it from the LEAD VOICE section as he is playing several notes on that upper and the 'singer' stand out on it's own, as a 'Lead Voice'.  He won't be an existing member, but I will see if I can contact him via You Tube .. we could do with his Registration set-up!

Hugh

Actually, it would help if I were to read what people have put up, as well as listen!  There are Uploaders' Comments just under the recording and he says:

The Yamaha AR100 has no soprano voices on the yamaha; it comes from an Akai s500 sampler; it is the way to go to save you spending money on a new Electone Stagea; no tracks layered down, all live play but at a cost; the Yamaha AR100 had to mod ed to make the sampler work; I had no control over the volume pedal on the YAMAHA AR100

To go to mryamaha 100's Channel on You Tube click this LINK:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mryamaha100

It's all about the music.
AR Group ADMIN

Richard Hambridge

• Plays AR 80
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 09:57:48 PM »
Laurie, thanks for calling me young! And a big welcome to the AR Group.

Hugh, well spotted on the comments regarding an additional Akai sampler being used. I must admit I was only listening and not reading the comments in detail. It did sound impressive though!

All the very best

Richard

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
I have managed to contact mryamaha (via his You Tube Channel) .. Andy .. and he has commented as follows:

To:hughar80

Hi there,

The Nessun Dorma track had some help from a rack mount sampler, an AKAI S5000 ... but in saying that, it was just the male voice and female voice that you were hearing from the sampler.  The Yamaha AR100 had to be modified on the expression pedal to make it work as good as it sounds.  The whole point of doing this was you don't need to spend a lot of money to keep your AR100 updated. 

The idea to do the track came from Max Takano, Japan's No 1 on the new Stagea Organ which you can see on YouTube.  Just type in Max Takano.

All the best,

ANDY

LEISURE PLAY MUSIC TEACHER
It's all about the music.
AR Group ADMIN