Author Topic: No__71___Chord Inversions  (Read 4871 times)

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
Re: No_71__Chord Inversions
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 05:07:18 PM »
In the posting on the previous page, Peter says: "If you select Auto Bass Chord, then Fingered Chord, it will always play the Home Bass note.  For any inversion of the C Chord this will be, of course, C".

In the MP3 below, I have chosen Fingered Chord from Auto Bass Chord and played inversions of the C chord on the Lower, running right through to top C.  The STYLE I have chosen is Gentle Waltz, MAIN A (from BALLROOM).  The 'Bass Note' in this Style is just a single note, the 'Root' of the chord you are playing.  Wherever, and no matter what inversion I play, the AR looks at the notes I am playing and says, "Ah, this is a C chord" and plays the same 'default' pattern for the C chord (with C as the Bass Note, and it shows C in VOICE DISPLAY).

Then second time round I have added a Voice (Orchestral Strings) to the Lower and played the inversions as before.  This time you can hear the inversions of the C Chord I am playing, not from the Style, but from the 'added' Voice on the Lower.

Finally, I have played the first DEMO again (ie. no Strings added), but this time I have selected CUSTOM A.B.C. from Auto Bass Chord instead of Fingered Chord.  Custom A.B.C. works like this.  To get any Bass, you have to play a note on the Pedals.  It plays the same Bass 'Pattern' as Fingered Chord, but picks out the Bass note from the actual note you are playing on the Pedals.  So at the start of the third DEMO I have played a C on the Pedals (so it sounds the same as before); but then for the next bar I have played an E on the Pedals, so this is what is picked up .. an E Bass Note with the C Chord.  This is Peter's C/E as might be designated on the music (play a C chord with an E bass note).  To illustrate this further, I have played the C Chord with Bass Notes of C, B, A and G; and then an F Chord with Bass Notes of F, E, D and C .. and back to C again.

So what I have illustrated here is 'Yes, you can play other bass notes with your chord so long as you use Custom A.B.C. and not Fingered Chord'.

Click the LINK below to hear the DEMO as MP3:

Chord Inversion DEMO as MP3

Hugh
It's all about the music.
AR Group ADMIN

Peter Anderson

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
Re: No__71____Chord Inversions
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 12:24:36 PM »
This SUMMARY was added to the post (see the first Reply) after all the other Replies were added, but I repeat it here for practical reasons.

SUMMARY OF CHORD INVERSIONS

Under Inversion,

Perfect intervals remain Perfect

Major intervals become Minor intervals     and     vice versa

Augmented intervals become Diminished intervals    and    vice versa

Double Augmented intervals become Double Diminished intervals    and    vice versa

Fourths become Fifths     and    vice versa.

So, for example, a perfect fourth when inverted, becomes a perfect fifth

an augmented fourth becomes a diminished fifth, etc.

Here are a pair of Summary Charts:

A Chord's Inversion describes the relationship of its bass to the other tones in the chord.

For example a C Major triad consists of     C,  E  and  G,      and     its inversion determines which of these tones is the bottom note in the chord.

So this term Inversion is mostly used to refer to the different possibilities of where we position the individual notes that make up that chord.

Peter
In the interest of our members
AR-Group ADMIN