Author Topic: Chord progressions; the Numerical way of writing chords; Intros & Endings  (Read 3148 times)

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
An MP3 that I had put up was Baby Love.  What is unusual about this tune is the first four chords.  Member papadeedee replied to my posting offering some alternative chords for the start of this piece.  I had previously mentioned about receiving some sheet music with the chords written in Tonic Sol Fa, and he went on to say that another way of writing chords was to write the chords in Numerals.  He then goes on to explain the Numeral System for writing chords.  This is all new to me!  Have any of you come across the numeral system before?  Peter, .. Charles?

For my MP3 posting click the below, and then read the comments in the subsequent 'Replies'.

* Note: In order to View any of the postings I have LINKED to you will have to join their Group .. which is FREE

http://tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=232&t=4279&start=70#p31582

Following this there are some comments about Intros & Endings.

Hugh
It's all about the music.
AR Group ADMIN

Charles Hughes

• Global Moderator
  • Plays AR 80
I had not heard of this system.  I googled it and came across a "Nashville number system" wherein say in the key of C, C=1, D=2, E=3...B=7.  I have enough trouble chasing little dots with tails along 5 lines!  Even my knowledge of chord symbols is a bit sketchy because I don't use them much.  I never did any musical theory exams and the theory was only ever incidental to actual playing when I was young.

Charles

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
Hi Charles,

Of course the numbers you are referring to are taken from the 'scale' with numbers 1 though 7.  As I understand it, a number (numeral) refers to a whole chord.  So ...

I = 1 3 5 (of your numbers) .. a major chord based on the 'root', without specifying the key the music is written in.
II = a minor chord  based on the second note of the scale (2 of your numbers), without specifying the key the music is written in.
III = a minor chord  based on the third note of the scale (3 of your numbers), without specifying the key the music is written in.
IV = a major chord based on the fourth note of the scale (4 of your numbers), without specifying the key the music is written in.
V = a 7th chord based on the fifth note of the scale (5 of your numbers), without specifying the key the music is written in.
VI = a minor chord  based on the sixth note of the scale (6 of your numbers), without specifying the key the music is written in.
VII = a diminished chord  based on the seventh note of the scale (7 of your numbers), without specifying the key the music is written in.

So like tonic Sol Fa, if you know the chords of a piece using this method you could play it in any key (assuming you know the 'scale' notes of that key.  For me, if it was F#, forget it!).

So if your chords, playing in the key of C, were C, Am, Dm, G7 .. then remember that as I, VI, II, V.  And that is all you would have to remember.  If playing the tune in the key of F these chords would translate into F, Dm, Gm, C7.  Or, in tonic Sol Fa the chords are Doh, La(m), Ray(m), Soh(7).  If I had learnt them in the first place, I think the 'Numerals' are easier to remember.

But I wonder how some of the other chords would be represented?  Just a plain G for instance (rather than G7)?

Hugh
AR Group ADMIN

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
AR Group ADMIN