Author Topic: What I find infuriating  (Read 3776 times)

Brian Lisher

• Plays AR 100; HS8
What I find infuriating
« on: December 22, 2017, 09:06:17 AM »
So I set up the AR for a piece of music or, a series of tunes, including Registration shift. Record to floppy, as you should, fine??

Switch on the AR, set up the piece  to play and, flick my foot? no change! So I have to stop playing and switch on the shift.

I find this infuriating.

Why Yamaha can't retain the better bits of preceding models is beyond my comprehension.

Has someone found  a way round this? because I can't

Anyone want a load of firewood I've just chopped?, (just joking. I think!)

Brian Lisher

Charles Hughes

• Global Moderator
  • Plays AR 80
Re: What I find infuriating
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 10:12:50 AM »
Hi Brian,

I seem to recall that you have to manually set the registration shift to the start position when preparing to record a piece. 

Once you have recorded it, I am sure that the use of Reg shift is remembered and is automatically set to the start point on playback.

Charles

Brian Lisher

• Plays AR 100; HS8
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 01:02:01 PM »
Hello Charles,

Thank you for that. I had gone through a variety of registrations which resulted in the shift being missing. After reading your reply I have again gone through and find that, indeed, a number of my saved registrations do revert to 'Shift'  but some don't. Perhaps, on reflection some of my saved work did not register with 'Shift'. I'll have to go through them all again and check.

I still think that Yamaha are  too fond of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. With my old HS I press the shift button and it stays on till cancelled. Far better in my opinion.

Regards,

Brian.

Peter Anderson

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 10:38:56 PM »
Tricky for the manufacturers to provide a facility that satisfies everyone.
Not sure how the HS Shift function operated, but the AR is programmable.  i.e. Simple advance, jump, etc.   So if it stayed on permanently, from where you had it last time, it may not always prove to be convenient.

However, what you set it to, and it must have registrations assigned to the memory buttons, then all this can be stored to disk, including your preferred setting of the shift lever.

Thinking about it, this is probably the ideal situation, but having said that, it is what we get used to.

Peter
In the interest of our members
AR-Group ADMIN

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 12:40:04 PM »
Remember too that if you want the AR to be set up exactly as you had it set up before you switched it OFF, when you turn the AR ON hold down the bottom button to the left of the screen (but also, you have about 5 seconds to press that button if you have forgotten to do so).

I press that left hand bottom button every time I turn the organ on, as I probably want to carry on with something I was doing beforehand.  I do know that when you turn the organ OFF and then turn it ON again, all the Registrations in the Registration Memory Buttons (between the Upper and Lower Manuals) are as they were when you turned it OFF.  These only change when you deliberately change them by 'saving' something into them.  Eg. with a Registration you have set up and put it into a Registration Memory by pressing and holding the RED M and then pressing a Registration Memory number.  Or when you load in a floppy disk, in which case all the Registration Memories will be replaced by those on the disk.  Any USER STYLES that you had been using will also be replaced by what is on the disk.  If there are no USER styles on the disk, then your USER will be wiped clean.  If you go to it and choose eg.USER 1, or USER 2 it will say No name. So if you have been working on something, make sure you SAVE it to a floppy disk before loading in another Registration from a disk.

Now, there are one or two important things to remember about all of this.  If you don't hold that bottom left hand button as you turn the organ ON, the 'keys' will be set up with the default Yamaha Organ 'ELECTRONIC' flute sounds.  OK, you can then press a Registration Memory Button to get back the Registration you were using before.  But this will only give you the REGISTRATIONS you were using (including USER STYLES).  One important thing that is not restored by pressing a Registration Memory is the TRANSPOSE.  I remember once, I had used the TRANSPOSE button to put the pitch up two or three notches because I felt the voice I was using was too low, and I didn't want to play the piece in a higher key .. so used the Transpose button.  I was all set up to do a recording, but had to go out, so turned the organ OFF.  When I came back I turned the organ ON (without holding that button), pressed the first Registration Memory I had set up, and did the recording.  I couldn't understand why it didn't sound right!  Eventually I realised that the TRANSPOSE light was not on.  It was then I realised that I had lost the 'Transpose' by turning the organ OFF.

Brian, I suspect that the REGISTRATION SHIFT is another thing that is not 'remembered' when you just turn the organ on normally.  But I'm sure that if you held that bottom left button down as you turn the organ ON that it would be remembered.  And, as Peter said, the configuration you had set up for it.  There are three ways you can have set up the REGISTRATION SHIFT.  The 'default', which is to move from 1, to 2, to 3, to 4 etc. every time you kick the right footswitch.  To 'return' to the same Registration Memory every time you kick the footswitch eg. go to Registration Memory 6 every time the footswitch is kicked. Or program your own order in.  Eg. 5, then 4, then 9, then 4 again, then 10, then 4 again etc.

Moral of this story?  Press that left hand bottom button every time you turn the organ on.

I seem to be rambling on again!

Hugh
It's all about the music.
AR Group ADMIN

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 01:12:00 PM »
Another useful thing you can do.  You can transfer a particular Registration you like (or even several of them) into another Registration set-up loaded in from a disk.  First, get that Registration you like up and 'live' and playing 'on the keys'.  Then load in the other Registration set-up from the disk.  As I said, this will replace all the Registrations you had in the Registration Memories, including the one you liked.  But it will not replace what you currently have set up 'on the keys'.  The one that you liked.  So, now press and hold the RED M and put 'what is on the keys' into a Registration Memory number (which will replace what was there .. so choose a number you don't want to keep).

Then press and hold the RED M and press the REC on the Music Disk Recorder.  This will 'Save' it all back to the disk.  If you want to add another favourite Registration into the mix, get that set up 'onto the keys' (you can even get a Registration off another disk this way).  Load the Registration you had 'Saved' from the paragraph above back into the organ.  Again, you will get all those Registration Memories back, replacing the ones that are in there .. but not 'what is on the keys'.  Press and hold the RED M and put 'what is on the keys' into another Registration Memory number, and SAVE it all back to the floppy disk.  You now have two of your own 'Registrations' added into the mix.

Rambling on again!

Hugh
It's all about the music.
AR Group ADMIN