Author Topic: Swopping horses again, farewell Orla GT9000GLX  (Read 3382 times)

Ken Horton

• Plays Roland AT900C and Technics KN7000 keyboard
Swopping horses again, farewell Orla GT9000GLX
« on: February 27, 2018, 11:27:20 AM »
Yes it's itchy feet or perhaps fingers, but my Orla is going. I have had it two years ,nothing wrong with it, read Keith's assessment further down this page, I agree with all his comments.  I changed from the AR to a more user friendly organ which it is in many respects, lot's of good features, more up to date than the AR, I believe  but it has one annoying ( to me ) feature

In each banks of voices and also in the style section is a User button, this allows you to select an alternative style or voice when pressed but with 30 voice buttons in the three banks plus more when you hold down two buttons together to give around another 20 making about 50 voices  doubles when you use the user button,  to about 100 choices. This system also applies to the styles, it's a great feature.
But strangely enough I could not find a printed list of the voice options in their manual, in fact there is no mention of voice selection of any sort and they could not print all that information on the deck itself so unless you have a very good memory or you print your own list you can miss some good sounds.  Your selection does appear on screen after you have pressed the button.  The manual does fall down on several points because it is supposed to cover two different model the GT9000 DLX2 and the GT8000 but do not differentiate between them so you are not sure if what they are explaining is in your model  ! But I may not be using this feature correctly, playing on the fly will not work as trying to change a voice in mid play is too difficult so preparation by way of saving into the presets is a must and of course then if you wish to retain the settings it must be put onto a floppy disk.
So I thought perhaps a change and it may well be the last at my age, so what have I chosen ? A Roland  AT 80SL  and Roland don't make organs anymore so it's not a brilliant move !

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
Re: Swopping horses again, farewell Orla GT9000GLX
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 05:52:56 PM »
Ken,

I think the Roland is a great organ.  If I hadn't had the AR I would have had one of those.  Peter Slack had the Roland AT 80SL and one of his recordings is on YouYube .. Lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2oxTRidyfA

It says AT 800sl in the desciption, but that is a typing error.

Hugh
It's all about the music.
AR Group ADMIN

Ken Horton

• Plays Roland AT900C and Technics KN7000 keyboard
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:20:36 PM »
Well egg all over my face on this last change, I could not get on with the Roland, quite different in many aspects of the operating bit when compered to the Orla, The range and quality of the Roland's voices are tremendous but I found that you could not just walk up to it , sit down and start to play, you had to have something saved because trying to manually set up a registration could take ages.

So I now have a Technics G100 and start the learning curve all over again, not such a high spec but much more user friendly. Ken

Roy Davies

• Plays AR100, Hammond XE200 & Ketron Audya keyboard
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 08:46:55 PM »
Hi Ken I have just done a similar move l had an AR100 now got an ORLA compact theatre organ.
I changed because I needed the room as I have moved to a small bungalow.
not a bad little organ its voices are no way near the AR100 as the amplification is somewhat weak.
I shall give it time and see how I get on with it. I hope someone can help me with a factory restore
disc as l think the last owner has made changes to the registrations. I can clear the ram but need it resetting
to factory. fingers crossed I can obtain one. Help anybody, please .

Roystone.

Roger Mardon

• Plays AR 100
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 10:04:45 AM »
Roystone,

You’ll probably have more luck enquiring in the Home Organs section of www.organforum.com

Roger