Author Topic: Klaus Wunderlich (1931 - 1997)  (Read 2408 times)

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
Klaus Wunderlich (1931 - 1997)
« on: March 06, 2018, 08:50:39 AM »
Klaus Wunderlich (1931 - 1997)

Klaus Wunderlich was born in Chemnitz. He played the Hammond organ during the first half of his career, briefly used Moog synthesizers and later switched to Wersi organs with which he created his own unique electronic sound. He was open to different music styles and played classical, operetta, Broadway musical, as well as popular music. He sold more than 20 million records all over the world and received 13 golden albums as well as one golden cassette.

I'm sure many of us remember Klaus from our younger days, and the magic he made with his organ.  I have come across this YouTube video of him playing.  A great recording and it really shows off his style and technique.  If you have the time, do have a listen .. it is an hour long!  This is where radio headphones really come into their own.  You can listen to Klaus, either while relaxing at home, or whilst doing one's bit round the house.

Hugh
It's all about the music.
AR Group ADMIN

Peter Anderson

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
Re: Klaus Wunderlich (1931 - 1997)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 03:13:37 PM »
How, I admired the keyboard skills that Klaus Wunderlich had.   In the 1970's and 80's I admired everything he produced and even before my organ playing days, envied just what he could do.

He was born in Chemnitz and played the Hammond organ C3 then in the mid 60s changed to a Hammond H100. Wunderlich also tried new sounds and released an album exclusively played on Hohner instruments, like the model Planet T, Clavinet D6 and String Melody string synthesizer (also branded as Logan String Melody.)

With the introduction of the first synthesizers, Wunderlich briefly used the Moog synthesizer and produced three albums with that instrument.

He later combined the sound of a Hammond organ model H 100 with a Lowrey Organ Model H25-3 and Wersi model W248S, which was called the "New Pop Organ Sound".

He switched to Wersi organs permanently with the introduction of the Wersi Helios model in 1976, with which he created his own unique electronic sound. During the course of time, the Wersi Helios was not sufficient to keep up with current technology and trends, so Wunderlich started to use Wersi Beta Dx400. The Beta was then combined with the Wersi Helios to again create a unique sound. The 1980s saw Wunderlich purchase the Wersi Pianostar electronic piano which he used for rhythm guitar effects only.

In 1988, Wunderlich decided to part company with the Wersi Helios and Beta and purchased a new organ to replace both older models, the Wersi Spectra.

Wunderlich also used a small Moog synthesizer Minimoog to replicate the sound of the Bass guitar on his recordings as well as in the latter half of his career playing the drums and percussion on his recordings.

As a musician Wunderlich was open to different music styles and played classical, operetta, Broadway musical, as well as popular music. He sold more than 20 million records globally, and received 13 golden albums as well as one golden cassette.  Remember, cassettes?

Wunderlich died in Engen from a heart attack, and was subsequently buried in the Alter Friedhof at Sindelfingen.

Here is Raindrops Keep Falling In my Head, from 1973

Moog was originally a mono synthesizer, so Klaus Wunderlich proved to be a master at multi tracking, as well.

When you listen to this (especially in stereo) the raindrops keep 'popping' in your ears, and you can feel the wind blowing around you!   Quite an achievement, way back in 1973.

Peter
In the interest of our members
AR-Group ADMIN

Peter Anderson

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
Re: Klaus Wunderlich (1931 - 1997)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 03:14:23 PM »
You will find another 20 minutes of Klaus Wunderlich by following this link:

http://www.ar-group.org/smforum/index.php?topic=3338.0

Peter
In the interest of our members