Author Topic: AR commercial recordings  (Read 2085 times)

Roger Mardon

• Plays AR 100
AR commercial recordings
« on: April 11, 2019, 05:59:17 PM »
Some of you may remember my bemoaning a couple of months back the lack of commercial recordings on the Yamaha AR series organ. I could only find the CDs A String of Pearls by Howard Beaumont and Tributes by Max Takano, both using the AR-100. These are no longer available new but used copies crop up on Amazon and eBay from time to time. Glyn Madden’s Morning in Cornwall includes use of the AR-100 but he tells me it’s mixed with keyboard and piano so it’s hard to tell what is playing what.

Well, I’ve now found releases by Tom Horton, perhaps better known as a Lowrey demonstrator and YouTube contributor. These date back to what he calls his “early progressional days” when he was playing Yamaha organs (not for Yamaha). Let Yourself Go! (2001) was recorded solely on the AR-100. Take 2 (2003) was recorded mostly on the EL-90 but two tracks - Selection from the 1930s and Take 5 - are on the AR-100. Then we have Forgotten Dreams (2005) on EL-90 with just one track - Someone To Watch Over Me/Embraceable You (Gershwin) - on the AR-100.

These recordings show off the AR well and full track listings are available on Tom’s website - www.tomhorton.co.uk - from where you can order the CDs. Tom has asked me to mention his growing YouTube channel - www.youtube.com/KeyboardSkillsPro - with tutorials you might enjoy. I also see that Tom has contributed to this forum’s Just One Tune.

And no, I’m not on commission. Just happy to spread the word 😀

Neville Allen

• Plays AR 100
Re: AR commercial recordings
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 09:35:31 PM »
Hi Roger
Many thanks for this information relating to Tom Horton.  I purchased my AR100 from Allens of Great Yarmouth a few years ago and subsequently received CD's of newly introduced Lowry models played and demonstrated by Tom Horton.

However, some years ago a CD was produced by members of the AR Group entitled "On The Move - Recorded for L.I.V.E.S. by AR Group."  The CD contains some excellent registrations some of which have been replicated on JOT's. I don't know how many CD's were produced at the time, and according to the play list Huw W was the largest contributor and may be able to assist with more information.  Perhaps it may also be possible for another CD to be produced by the AR Group.

Best wishes
Neville Allen

Roger Mardon

• Plays AR 100
Re: AR commercial recordings
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 11:50:10 PM »
Hi Neville,

Interesting. Hugh Wallington has himself produced two CDs on AR-80 that he very kindly let me have when I got my AR, All Sorts (17 tracks) and Mixed Bag (also 17 tracks). They are not commercial recordings and I don’t know how widely he makes them available but perhaps I should have mentioned them as they certainly make a worthwhile addition to the collection. Hugh is without doubt an accomplished musician and his mastery of the AR is to be applauded.

Best regards,

Roger