Author Topic: 20 Minutes of Harold Smart  (Read 2529 times)

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
20 Minutes of Harold Smart
« on: July 09, 2019, 12:02:08 AM »
Mike (Bracchi) says: Enjoy ...

Hugh
It's all about the music.
AR Group ADMIN

Neville Allen

• Plays AR 100
Re: 20 Minutes of Harold Smart
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 10:19:18 AM »
Hi Hugh

Many thanks for this video. I recall attending Thomas demonstration concerts many years ago and enjoyed listening to Harold Smart - an excellent organist.

It's a pity the video is limited to 20  minutes, but imagine what he could do with today's range of organs, especially the AR.

Best wishes
Neville

Hugh Wallington

• Administrator
  • Plays AR 80
Re: 20 Minutes of Harold Smart
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 11:50:00 PM »
I went to a Thomas Demonstration once at a music shop in Bristol.  It was late in the evening and the demonstration was very informal, with the audience moving round the shop to listen to various organs.  I noticed that the shop manager was sitting in his office, so I opened the door and thanked him for such a superb evening.  Whilst talking to him I could hear a Hammond Organ being played, and mentioned to him what a wonderful sound the Hammond had.  Upon which the manager said, "Oh no, you're wrong".  "What you can hear is not a Hammond, but a Thomas organ being played with 'Hammond' sounds.  This is a 'Thomas' evening."

He then walked round with me into the shop to prove his point.  And what was the demonstrator playing?  A Hammond organ, of course!  I knew it was!  The demonstrator had moved off the Thomas organ to play a Hammond so the audience could appreciate how good the Thomas was.

Click the below to listen to a little bit of that glorious Hammond sound.

Hugh
It's all about the music.
AR Group ADMIN